Did you know that the 2nd of October 2014 marks the 64th birthday of Peanuts? On this day in 1950 Peanuts was published for the very first time in seven newspapers. Like a lot of people, I have a tremendous soft spot for Peanuts. Reading the books that were given to me for birthdays and as Christmas presents was an absolute treat. I couldn't definitely tell you who my favourite character was or is, but it might be Snoopy.
I just read a Harper's Bazaar article that chronicles 24 hours with the legendary Valentino. It's quite a fascinating read - now that he has semi-retired from his eponymous fashion house, he is quite the man of leisure. I also found out that he has a virtual historic museum filled with his designer gowns. I think I remember seeing him working on this museum in the highly entertaining documentary called Valentino: the Last Emperor that came out a few years ago. I think the highlight of the documentary was seeing him in transit accompanied by his entourage of pugs which the above photo illustrates perfectly!
Popular artist and writer Maira Kalman has a regular spot in the opinion section of The New York Times. You can see more of that work here. I love her quirky style and the way she combines text and images, but it's her colour palette that is really something in my opinion!
This is Archie and he a very passionate about ice-cream. In fact he's a bit of a connoisseur. He knows the difference between a peppermint chip vanilla swirl and a vanilla bean mint flake. Oh yes! One day he wants to embark on a grand tour partaking of all the world's most famous ice-creams and then he intends to write a book about his adventures. He's going to call it "The ice-cream and I". You can find him in my shop here.
I only found out about the French actress and chanteuse Juliette Gréco the other day. Are you familiar with her at all? Well, if not here is a neat summary of the who, what and where of Juliette Gréco:
1) She was born 7th, February 1927 in Monpellier, France.
2) During World War II, she became involved in the Résistance for which she was arrested, and then released a few months later.
3) During the 50s and 60s she became a bohemian and hung out with people like Jean-Paul Sartre who famously said she had "millions of poems in her voice".
4) She was married three times and went out with Miles Davis for a while whom she describes as "one of the most elegant men I have known".
5) She declined a seven year Hollywood contract because it felt "inappropriate".
6) At 86, she is still very much in demand as a singer, having had a performance in the Paris Olympia in May last year, and as a model - she is YSL's brand ambassador.
There is an interview and article about her here at The Gaurdian. Images from here.